Tuesday, September 30, 2014

homemade flatbreads + recipe


This post starts with how most thrown-together recipes start: my mum making dinner and me wanting to bake something. She was making her ever-so-perfect chicken tagine the other week and I was in the mood for carbs, those on diets know the cravings come quickly and without warning.  
A quick google later, we settled on Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's flatbreads, following this recipe on the wonderfully named blog, Mean Mothercooker. They were best eaten hot, straight from the pan, with a bowl of tzatiki and a spoonful of houmous as accompaniment.
YOU'LL NEED:
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150ml warm water.

STEPS:
1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Add the oil and water until it forms a dough.
2. Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes until the dough feels elastic and smooth.
3. Return to the bowl, cover, leave to rest.
4. When you're about to eat them, roll dough into a sausage and divide into 8 rounded balls of dough.
5. On a floured surface, roll the balls into circles around 3mm thick.
6. Heat a heavy-based, non stick frying pan (we used a griddle pan) until it is very hot.
7. Turn the heat down, and place the flatbreads carefully in pan. Let the first side cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the dough no-longer sticks to the pan. Flip, and repeat but for 1-2 minutes on this side. Eat immediately.
It's really very simple, and they're so great eaten hot. 

7 comments:

  1. these look yummy! they remind me of flour tortillas!


    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound ridiculously easy! I'm always craving carbs so I'll keep this recipe in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so easy, and the perfect carb-craving solver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah I think they're like a bit of a fatter version of tortillas! a bit like pitta breads maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know if you do! They taste really yummy piled with curry or tagine or something! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so tasty! I love recipes with a very small list of ingredients ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. dammit, now i crave flatbread, these look mouthwatering!

    www.undersizedcloset.com
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2